COVID-19 Safety Plan and Building Access Procedures
ESG United Church has a duty of care for our building users, congregation and staff, and we have implemented protocols and policies to mitigate the risks of COVID-19. These policies at a minimum are in compliance with Ontario Ministry of Health’s and Toronto Public Health COVID-19 Guidelines and Bylaws which apply to our facility.
- ESG Worship Services, Funerals, Weddings
Eglinton St. George’s United Church (“ESG”) places the highest importance on the health and safety of all who utilize our facilities – our congregation, employees and larger community.
ESG will no longer check for proof of vaccination as people enter for worship. Our practice of checking for proof of vaccination was welcomed when introduced back in September 2021, and provided a sense of safety for all attending worship services. However, this virus has changed and dual vaccination no longer provides as much protection against the virus spread. We strongly encourage everyone to get vaccinated, including booster doses, as they become eligible, and we ask individuals to continue to assess their own risk factors when deciding whether or not to attend church in person.
Toronto Public Health reminds us that masks “protect ourselves and one another.” Our Covid response team asks that we maintain masks/ face coverings requirements upon entry for worship, weddings, and funerals. This requirement will be reviewed monthly and updated information sent out as the public health situation shifts. The province has extended the mask mandate for specific locations such as public transit, long term care homes and hospital settings. We are keeping a close eye on hospitalizations and ICU admissions to inform our decisions.
This policy will be reviewed regularly in the coming weeks and months and updated as necessary.
2. General building access
ESG is not open to the general public. Only those with a legitimate reason for accessing the building may enter. Unless otherwise specified for a particular tenant, everyone must enter using the accessible north door on Lytton Boulevard. Access will be limited to those who:
- Are employees of ESG or independent contractors who have an annual contract with ESG
- Are members of ESG’s Governing Council or of Committees and who are conducting required church business or congregant volunteers who are conducting required church business
- Maintain office space or other rental space in the building
- Have booked space in the building and have completed the necessary booking procedures with our Church Administrator (confirming dates, paid deposits, signed documents)
- Are suppliers or contractors hired by ESG to work in the building
- Are part of an event or booking confirmed at ESG
- Are attending Sunday worship services.
Showing Symptoms of COVID-19 or Confirmed Cases
- If an individual shows symptoms while in the building, they will be asked to return home and self-isolate immediately. If the individual cannot leave immediately,
they will be asked to wait outside.
- The individual will be advised to follow the instructions from the Government of Ontario’s COVID-19 self-assessment tool to determine how to seek further care or they can contact their doctor or Telehealth Ontario at Toll-free: 1-866-797-0000 for further directions about testing and self-isolation.
- If the health situation requires 911 emergency services will be contacted.
- If a COVID case is confirmed, the organizer responsible for the user group with the confirmed positive case must immediately notify the Church Administrator and the Lead Minister, Rev. Dr. Paul Hutchison who will log and track the positive case.
If you are an organizer of a booking held at ESG, you are required to:
- Check in with Church Staff on site first, before allowing anyone attending your event to enter.
- You may choose to require all attendees to provide Proof of Vaccination.
Everyone entering ESG must wear a mask or face covering in common areas of the church, even if they are fully vaccinated, unless City of Toronto By-Law 541-2020 permits an exemption for a certain reason, such as:
- Children under two years of age
- Persons with an underlying medical condition which inhibits their ability to wear a mask or face covering and who are being reasonably accommodated in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code
- Persons who are unable to place or remove a mask or face covering without assistance
- Employees and agents of ESG within an area designated for them and not for public access, or within or behind a physical barrier.
Maintaining a distance of 2 meters/6 feet from any person who is not a member of your household is recommended.
Hygiene and Sanitization
Please wash your hands frequently. Please cough into your sleeve or tissue, discard tissues and wash hands immediately. Hand sanitizer is also located around the building.
Caring for others
This Policy is being implemented by ESG’s Governing Council to protect the health and safety of everyone who uses our building. Staff and others who enforce the Policy are following the instructions given to them by Council. Please direct all concerns and questions to the Chair of Governing Council, Maggie Wilkinson.