COVID-19 Safety Plan and Building Access Procedures
ESG United Church has a duty of care for our building users, congregation and staff, and we have implemented protocols and policies to mitigate the risks of COVID-19. These policies at a minimum are in compliance with Ontario Ministry of Health’s and Toronto Public Health COVID-19 Guidelines and Bylaws which apply to our facility.
- ESG Worship Services, Funerals, Weddings
Eglinton St. George’s United Church (“ESG”) places the highest importance on the health and safety of all who utilize our facilities – our congregation, employees and larger community.
Toronto Public Health reminds us that masks “protect ourselves and one another.” Our Covid response team strongly encourages wearing well fitting masks/ face coverings upon entry for worship, weddings, and funerals. However, as of June 12th, masks are no longer mandatory for attendance of worship services, funerals or weddings. Our ministers, musicians and choir members will continue to wear masks during services.
We also know that COVID-19 vaccinations, including booster doses, provide excellent protection against hospitalization and severe disease. We continue to urge all attending worship service to become fully vaccinated.
The COVID Response Team will continue to review and send out updated information as the public health situation shifts. We are keeping a close eye on hospitalizations and ICU admissions as well as other public health indicators to inform our decisions.
Our commitment is to balance creating enriching in-person worship experiences with our duty of care for all – our seniors, parents, grandparents, children, and young people. Over the coming weeks, as we become used to new ways of being and acting, our comfort levels will adapt and change. In this time, we are called to model our values as the church community: being patient with each other and our feelings, and supporting one another to the best of our abilities.
2. General building access
ESG is not open to the general public. Only those with a legitimate reason for accessing the building may enter. Unless otherwise specified for a particular tenant, everyone must enter using the accessible north door on Lytton Boulevard. Access will be limited to those who:
- Are employees of ESG or independent contractors who have an annual contract with ESG
- Are members of ESG’s Governing Council or of Committees and who are conducting required church business or congregant volunteers who are conducting required church business
- Maintain office space or other rental space in the building
- Have booked space in the building and have completed the necessary booking procedures with our Church Administrator (confirming dates, paid deposits, signed documents)
- Are suppliers or contractors hired by ESG to work in the building
- Are part of an event or booking confirmed at ESG
- Are attending Sunday worship services.
Showing Symptoms of COVID-19 or Confirmed Cases
- If an individual shows symptoms while in the building, they will be asked to return home and self-isolate immediately. If the individual cannot leave immediately,
they will be asked to wait outside.
- The individual will be advised to follow the instructions from the Government of Ontario’s COVID-19 self-assessment tool to determine how to seek further care or they can contact their doctor or Telehealth Ontario at Toll-free: 1-866-797-0000 for further directions about testing and self-isolation.
- If the health situation requires 911 emergency services will be contacted.
- If a COVID case is confirmed, the organizer responsible for the user group with the confirmed positive case must immediately notify the Church Administrator and the Lead Minister, Rev. Dr. Paul Hutchison who will log and track the positive case.
If you are an organizer of a booking held at ESG, you are required to:
- Check in with Church Staff on site first, before allowing anyone attending your event to enter.
- You may choose to require all attendees to provide Proof of Vaccination.
Toronto Public Health reminds us that masks “protect ourselves and one another.” Our Covid response team strongly encourages wearing well fitting masks/ face coverings in common areas of the church.
Maintaining a distance of 2 meters/6 feet from any person who is not a member of your household is recommended.
Hygiene and Sanitization
Please wash your hands frequently. Please cough into your sleeve or tissue, discard tissues and wash hands immediately. Hand sanitizer is also located around the building.
Caring for others
This Policy is being implemented by ESG’s Governing Council to protect the health and safety of everyone who uses our building. Staff and others who enforce the Policy are following the instructions given to them by Council. Please direct all concerns and questions to the Chair of Governing Council, Maggie Wilkinson.