COVID-19 Safety Plan and Building Access Procedures
ESG United Church has a duty of care for our building users, congregation and staff, and we have implemented protocols and policies to mitigate the risks of COVID-19. These policies at a minimum are in compliance with Ontario Ministry of Health’s and Toronto Public Health COVID-19 Guidelines and Bylaws which apply to our facility.
Proof of Vaccination Policy in Effect
Eglinton St. George’s United Church (“ESG”) places the highest importance on the health and safety of all who utilize our facilities – our congregation, employees and larger community.
Consistent with this duty of care, as of Monday, November 1, 2021, we are implementing a Proof of Vaccination Policy in accordance with the requirements outlined by the Province of Ontario, regardless and conscious of our specific exclusion from these requirements as a House of Worship.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, ESG developed a COVID-19 Safety Plan which has been regularly updated to reflect the changing regulations issued by the Province of Ontario and the City of Toronto. This Policy is to be read in conjunction with the Safety Plan, as it may be updated from time to time; in the event of any discrepancy, this Policy governs.
Building Access Policy
ESG is not open to the general public. Only those with a legitimate reason for accessing the building may enter. Unless otherwise specified for a particular tenant, everyone must enter using the accessible north door on Lytton Boulevard. Access will be limited to those who:
- Are employees of ESG or independent contractors who have an annual contract with ESG
- Are members of ESG’s Governing Council or of Committees and who are conducting required church business or congregant volunteers who are conducting required church business
- Maintain office space or other rental space in the building
- Have booked space in the building and have completed the necessary booking procedures with our Church Administrator (confirming dates, paid deposits, signed documents)
- Are suppliers or contractors hired by ESG to work in the building
- Are part of an event or booking confirmed at ESG
- Are attending Sunday worship services.
Proof of Vaccination
Everyone entering the building must provide:
- Proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 (two complete dosages), OR
- Written proof of a recognized medical reason for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 which outlines the time period of the medical reason; and verification of a negative COVID-19 test result obtained within 48 hours of seeking access to the building. Individuals who cannot receive the vaccine due to medical exemptions will be permitted with a doctor’s note until the medical exemption can be integrated as part of a digital vaccine certificate.
Proof of full vaccination is required from everyone entering the building to attend a Sunday worship service effective Sunday, November 21, 2021. Everyone entering the building for any other purpose is required to provide proof of full vaccination effective Monday, November 1, 2021. When providing proof of full vaccination, you must also provide identification which confirms your name and date of birth.
To obtain your Proof of Vaccination, visit Ontario COVID-19 vaccination service (ontariohealth.ca)
It is in the discretion of the individual to determine whether they wish to disclose their vaccination status. Should they make the decision not to divulge this information, they will not be permitted to access ESG.
Exemptions: The only exemptions permitted to enter ESG are for (i) unvaccinated people with medical exemptions, subject to the proof requirements outlined above (ii) people who are ineligible to be vaccinated, until they become eligible and have had a reasonable opportunity to be vaccinated, as determined and communicated by Governing Council; and (iii) such other exemptions as may be approved by Governing Council from time to time, consistent with an effective and measured application of this Policy.
Screening and Contact Tracing
Everyone entering ESG must sign in and add themselves to the contact tracing form located on a table inside the accessible Lytton Boulevard entrance. They must also self-screen by reviewing the questions posted on the entrance door and at the check-in table. If you answer yes to any of the questions on the screening questionnaire, you must not enter, and should self-isolate and seek medical advice from Public Health Ontario / Telehealth Ontario at Toll-free: 1-866-797-0000 as well as be tested for COVID-19.
Showing Symptoms of COVID-19 or Confirmed Cases
- If an individual shows symptoms while in the building, they will be asked to return home and self-isolate immediately. If the individual cannot leave immediately,
they will be asked to wait outside.
- The individual will be advised to follow the instructions from the Government of Ontario’s COVID-19 self-assessment tool to determine how to seek further care or they can contact their doctor or Telehealth Ontario at Toll-free: 1-866-797-0000 for further directions about testing and self-isolation.
- If the health situation requires 911 emergency services will be contacted.
- If a COVID case is confirmed, the organizer responsible for the user group with the confirmed positive case must immediately notify the Church Administrator and the Lead Minister, Rev. Dr. Paul Hutchison who will log and track the positive case.
If you are an organizer of a booking held at ESG, you are required to:
- Check in with Church Staff on site first, before allowing anyone attending your event to enter.
- Confirm that all attendees have provided Proof of Vaccination.
- Upon checking in, you are responsible for collecting contact tracing information using the sheet provided to you, and you must sign and return it to the Church Office before leaving. This information is destroyed after 30 days.
Physical Distancing and Masks
Everyone entering ESG must practice physical distancing of 2 meters and wear a mask or face shield at all times while inside, even if they are fully vaccinated, unless City of Toronto By-Law 541-2020 permits an exemption for a certain reason, such as:
- Children under two years of age
- Persons with an underlying medical condition which inhibits their ability to wear a mask or face covering and who are being reasonably accommodated in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code
- Persons who are unable to place or remove a mask or face covering without assistance
- Employees and agents of ESG within an area designated for them and not for public access, or within or behind a physical barrier.
Please follow any signage and floor indicators for travel and distancing inside the building.
Hygiene and Sanitization
Please wash your hands frequently. Please cough into your sleeve or tissue, discard tissues and wash hands immediately. Hand sanitizer is also located around the building.
Caring for others
This Policy is being implemented by ESG’s Governing Council to protect the health and safety of everyone who uses our building. Staff and others who enforce the Policy are following the instructions given to them by Council. Please direct all concerns and questions to the Chair of Governing Council, Maggie Wilkinson.